One of the cheerier aspects of the preseason has been the return of Andrew Luck.
After missing all of last year’s campaign due to shoulder surgery, the star Colts quarterback has eased back into the saddle and certainly looked the part in Saturday’s win over the Niners.
Luck, though, is dealing with a new setback after missing his second straight practice with a foot injury, per ESPN’s Mike Wells. The quarterback tweaked his foot on a scramble during the first half against the Niners.
Despite Luck’s absence on Tuesday, coach Frank Reich told reporters that the 28-year-old signal-caller would be back at practice next week.
“[Luck] will be there at practice on Monday ready to go,” Reich reiterated Tuesday.
Luck has taken a few shots this preseason, but that ugly dynamic has been a constant during his career in Indy. This latest physical tweak deserves monitoring, but anything resembling panic can be put on hold.
Here are other injuries we’re tracking this NFL Tuesday:
1. The Cardinals officially placed running back D.J. Foster (knee) on injured reserve.
On the positive side, quarterback and first-round pick Josh Rosen was back at practice after he missed Sunday’s preseason game due to a sore thumb.
It was no surprise Josh Rosen (thumb) was participating during the part of practice we got to watch today. As of yesterday though Wilks was âstill debatingâ if Rosen would play vs Denver. He’s trying to balance Rosenâs healthy & not taking an unnecessary risk vs getting him reps
â James Palmer (@JamesPalmerTV)
August 28, 2018
Wilks added Tuesday that Rosen’s participation in Thursday’s preseason finale likely will be a game-time decision.
2. Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said during a Tuesday radio appearance that safety Xavier Woods (hamstring) will unlikely be available for the season opener against the Carolina Panthers.
Cowboys right guard Zack Martin (knee) is back at practice and participating in the early portion of work outs.
3. Browns defensive tackle Trevon Coley (ankle) returned to practice on Tuesday after missing nearly a month. Coley will not play in Cleveland’s preseason finale Thursday at Detroit, but is a possibility for the season opener against Pittsburgh.
“He is back. It was good to see him at practice,” Browns coach Hue Jackson told reporters Tuesday. “I feel very encouraged that he will be ready to go.”
4. Chicago first-round pick Roquan Smith (hamstring) practiced on Tuesday, but coach Matt Nagy said the inside linebacker is likely to miss the preseason finale Thursday against the Bills.
“We’re probably going to end up keeping him out,” the first-year coach told reporters.
5. Redskins running back Samaje Perine (ankle) will be ready for action Thursday when Washington plays its preseason finale at Baltimore, Redskins coach Jay Gruden said on Tuesday. Perine will be thrust back into a running back competition and will perhaps be playing for a roster spot. Adrian Peterson‘s recent addition will see All Day and Chris Thompson forecasted for carries with Derrius Guice on the shelf with an ACL tear. Rob Kelly and Kapri Bibbs are also in the mix.